You guys. I'm really excited about this. Introducing:
I started working on Learn, Share, Create after talking to so many performing artists who are stuck in the gray area of needing a website but not having a lot of cash. Maybe you're in the same boat: You don't have the money to hire a professional, but you also don't have the time, energy or interest to learn web design so you can make your own site. When you sit down to make your site, you're overwhelmed by the number of decisions required and throw in the towel. Sound familiar?
Creating a website that really feels right and works for your career can be a daunting task, but I'm here to hold your hand. Enter: The Learn, Share, Create program.
It's part teleseminar, part guidebook, part support group that will bring 6-8 artists together to learn, share, dream and build their way into a new website and online marketing plan. We'll have 90 minute phone calls every six weeks. I'll curate the group, facilitate the calls, teach strategy and answer technical questions. You'll connect with your peers, set goals, make a plan to achieve them, and build your own website.
The workshop is for you if:
- You want a new website to support your arts career.
- You don't have the cash to hire a professional.
- You're tired of googling "How to ____ in WordPress".
- You crave the accountability and energy of working in a group of your peers.
- You want to update your own website, rather than relying on a designer.
It's not for you if:
- You want someone to build your site for you.
- You're convinced computers hate you.
- You don't think a website is important to advancing your arts career.
- You need advanced functions (think: ecommerce, membership databases).
- You already have a website and don't want to fully redesign it.
How it works:
- We'll have six weeks of 90 minute group phone calls.
- I'll provide a weekly curriculum covering the most important aspects of web design & strategy. We'll cover the curriculum in the opening part of the call, then check in about our progress, challenges and questions.
- We'll use a facebook group for mid-week questions.
- You'll get two half-hour, one-on-one sessions with me for any particularly challenging questions.
- We'll share our career goals & plan how our websites will help us reach them.
At the end of the program, this screen will be a close personal friend, instead of a bunch of nonsensical buttons. You've got the power!
What you'll get:
- A network: Like-minded peers who are working hard on the same problems you are.
- A website: You'll build a website with your own two hands (as long as you keep up with the course work).
- Online marketing strategy: A plan for strategically using social media without freaking out and/or working too much.
- Knowledge: You'll be empowered with the understanding of how to use and improve your website.
- Accountability: Friendly pressure to keep up with the coursework and get that site launched.
- Support: Helping hands and sympathetic friends to get you through this sometimes mind-boggling pursuit.
- Training: A trusty handbook (written by me) to guide you through the process (and keep you going afterward).
In six weeks, you'll have a website you are proud to show off. It houses your artistic works in a way that suits your aesthetic and vision, and it advances your career. You'll know exactly how to update it, and you'll have a concrete plan for doing that going forward. You'll know which social media sites you want to focus on, and why. A website is an important part of telling people who you are and what you do, and together we'll get there.
What I am going to teach you is based in the journey I took (and am still taking!) from a dancer with no website to a professional web designer and developer. It starts in the most basic, most essential questions (Why am I building a website? Who is this website for?) and builds methodically to a website you love (and a skillset you use).
The cost for the six week workshop, access to the peer group, technical & strategic consultation with me, and (best of all) the power to build and update your own website will be $399.
To give you context: When I build a website, it costs $1300. And that's just the website--it doesn't include the course guide, the in-depth training, the consulting or the peer support group.
I am so, so excited about this project. I can't wait for the knowledge sharing and strategizing that will come from this group.
I've got a pretty rare job title: Choreographer/web developer. This means I know what you're dealing with from both sides: As an artist who needs to connect with audiences, and as a web developer trying to build a future-friendly website. I taught myself everything I know, so I know exactly how hard it is to figure some of this out. I've been working full-time as a web designer & digital consultant to independent artists for two and a half years now, and every project has given me a chance to develop my understanding of the unique needs of artists in the world of business. I'm passionate about helping artists get off the computer and back in the studio, where they do their best work.
If you're ready to take matters into your own hands, let me know you're interested. No commitment required. I'll follow up to be sure you're a good fit. After all, as all choreographers know, what matters most is the mix of who is in the room.